Wednesday, August 13, 2008

driving down to the kenai peninsula


with copies of albums by Ida, Juliana Hatfield and Mastodon, courtesy of my dear, dear big brother, in a rented Ford Taurus (mid-size for the price of economy!). Hello, my late teenage years -- Ida and sedans. Now where's the vicodin? The bumper-to-bumper on I-95 south to Dade County?

Nowhere to be found. Just myself, two of my favorite ladies, some borrowed camping gear, soup from a box, fjords and glaciers and an old fishing town.

Did you know that in Whittier, AK, the entire population lives in two buildings? And that, before the 1964 earthquake, they all lived in one? And this one building was, at the time, the largest poured concrete structure in North America? But was decimated by the earthquake, and now lies abandoned in the center of town?

No comments: